Stuffed Pepper Casserole
Adapted from: Kraft Recipes
Yield: 7 - 1 Cup Servings
- 1 lb pound extra-lean ground beef
- 2 small green peppers, coarsely chopped
- 1 tsp onion powder
- salt to taste, optional
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 C long grain brown rice, cooked
- 1 24oz jar of low-sodium spaghetti sauce (If you are using a plain spaghetti sauce, you will want to add in 1/4 tsp Italian seasoning, 2 tsp season salt, 2 tsp onion powder, and 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder to give more flavor.)
- 1 1/2 C reduced-fat mozzarella cheese blend, divided
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Cook meat in frying pan until almost completely browned. Drain and rinse. Place beef back in pan and add peppers, onion powder, salt, and garlic cloves. Cook over medium-low heat until beef in completely cooked and peppers begin to turn tender.
- In a 2 1/2 qt casserole, stir together the rice, spaghetti sauce (and added spices if using), and 3/4 C cheese.
- Add in the beef mixture and stir until combined. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until heated through and cheese begins to brown. Let sit for 5-10 minutes before serving.